Over time the concrete flooring of your patio will become dingy and lack luster as a layer of dirt, pollen, algae, and other contaminants build up.
Here are some simple steps on how to clean your patio concrete:
- Move plants, furniture, and other items off of your concrete and sweep the surface thoroughly to remove any dirt from the surface. You may also want to pull up any weeds from around the edges of your concrete at this time.
- In a simple disposable spray bottle mix a 3/4 water and 1/4 bleach solution, and add a teaspoon of liquid dishwasher soap to the mixture.
- Spray the solution over your patio surface, waiting a few minutes for the solution to soak in and work its magic, then scrub the flooring with a stiff nylon bristle brush (using a wire brush can leave metal pieces that can rust and stain your concrete).
- Remove tough stains by creating a peanut butter like consistency paste using a cleaner like Oxi-clean. Apply the paste the troublesome area and wait an hour before scrubbing the area clean.
- Rinse the flooring off with a water hose.
Looking for a more eco-friendly way to clean your patio concrete? Try this!
Option 1: Use a vinegar and water mixture (½ and ½) or a straight vinegar wash for more heavily stained concrete. It smells, but it works!
Option 2: Add ½ cup of baking soda to a gallon of distilled water, the add ⅛ of a cup of liquid dishwashing liquid to the solution. Fill a spray bottle with the solution and spray the surface of the concrete, wait about 30 minutes before you start scrubbing.
Maybe you want something with some power
For more heavily stained patio concrete you may need to pressure wash it, you can choose to rent a pressure washing machine and do it yourself or hire a professional service.
Here are a couple of the pros and cons of choosing either method:
Doing it Yourself Pros
- Renting a pressure washer is relatively inexpensive
- You can decide when to do it according to your schedule
Doing it Yourself Cons
- Without proper training on pressure washer use, you risk damaging your concrete and it is a time consuming tedious task.
- Without scheduling an appointment it’s easy to put off and never actually get the job done (sound familiar?)
Hiring a Professional Pressure Washer Pros
- With experience and training, not to mention insurance coverage, damaging your property is not as much of a risk
- You don’t have to have the added step of renting and returning the machine on time or having the added expense of cleaning chemicals
- Hiring a pressure washing service costs more than renting and DIY
- Scheduling an appointment time that works for both parties
Regardless of which method that you use, it is necessary to clean your patio periodically. Use these techniques to keep your outdoor living areas looking their best.
About Affordable Shade Patio Covers
Affordable Shade Patio Covers builds custom patio cover additions for your outdoor living lifestyle. We craft all of our patio covers and pergolas to the highest safety standards and quality. We build exactly what you want, and we make sure that your new addition matches the style of your home. For a free in-home design consultation contact us or give us a call at (713) 574-4969.